Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Close Call With Chipmunk

 

Yesterday I had a plan. After my classes were finished at UMD I was going to drive to Gooseberry State Park and camp with my cousin. Her reservation fell apart so instead she came to my house. This morning, after breakfast, we drove in separate cars to Gooseberry with a stop at Hawk Ridge and a drive down 7 bridges road. We arrived at Gooseberry around 11. We took out our E-bikes and headed toward Beaver Bay. We ate sandwiches and apples at Beaver Bay and then headed back toward Gooseberry. We stopped at Split Rock Lighthouse and we toured the premises.

This is a view out of the lighthouse facing west toward Duluth. On our drive back I came within a half inch of riding over a chipmunk. We put on 30 miles. By the time we came near Gooseberry Falls my battery was at 20 percent. I learned that when the battery is at 20 percent, it gives 20 percent of assistance. I ended up having to walk my bike up hills twice. All in all, I walked the bike about a total of 15 minutes which wasn't too bad. My legs are feeling the exertion. Once back at Gooseberry we took a walk down to the shore. Her campsite has a space for her camper van right under two Mountain Ash trees. The trees were full of robins and Cedar Waxwings gobbling down the bright orange berries. After our walk we had a dinner of chili and cornbread. I left her to enjoy her campsite. Since I have another class early tomorrow morning I decided to drive home so I can get to class on time tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...