Saturday, September 15, 2007

If you knew you could not fail, what would you try to do?


This week I have been thinking about fear. 9/11 was this week. I felt conflicted and confused all day on 9/11. I wasn't sure why until the day had passed. 9/11 was a terrible event that touched our nation. I feel our president has exploited the fear from that event to further his political agenda. I have felt fearful for our country ever since he got the job (can't honestly say he was elected). I feel that to even say such a thing will be construed by some as unpatriotic. I am not unpatriotic. I think it was a mistake to go to Iraq when Osama Bin Laden was in Afganistan or Pakistan. The man is 6 feet 6 inches tall. He has to stand out in a crowd. Why is he still making videos proclaiming the United States is evil? Why aren't we looking harder for him? I had a free hour on 9/11 to think about all this and to think about fear. I went to the dentist that morning. The hygeniest noticed I was cold and she offered me a blanket. Normally I feel some anxiety and fear during dental cleanings. This time I was more relaxed while she poked at the tender tissue between my teeth with her sharp instruments. The blanket reduced my fear. When she offered me a blanket, she showed me she cared about my comfort. I trusted her. Fear and trust seem incompatible to me.

No comments:

The Beach At Summerly

Beatriz Williams is the author of the historical fiction novel called The Beach At Summerly . The story takes place on Winthrop Island. The ...