Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Chapin's Ridge

Today I hiked from Split Rock Lighthouse State Park to Chapin's Ridge campsite. I hoped to make it to Beaver Pond campsite but it just didn't happen today. I had a very hard time finding the spur trail to the Superior Hiking Trail. The guide book said follow the maps at the state park. I spent an hour walking around the state park looking at maps and could not figure it out. Eventually I found my way. Here I am on the trail.  In the very center of this photo is the Lighthouse. It's probably too small for you to see.

I made it to Chapin's Ridge. Both sides of this narrow ridge have very steep sides. I turned back to my car at this point.

Climbing down the ridge was difficult. Here I am sitting on a rock because the rock under my feet was way too low for me to just step down. Sometimes I wonder what I got myself into. Then I remember I made it up here and I can make it back. I go slowly and carefully.

The aspen woods are pretty. I found one strawberry in here and I picked it. I flicked two insects off of it with my finger before eating it. That strawberry was delicious! The smaller the sweeter I guess.

I am back on the spur trail to my car. Here are thirty steps I came before. Going down is easier. Today I added 3.9 miles making my new total on the Superior Hiking Trail 93.8 miles. I have 238.7 left to go.

No comments:

The Beach At Summerly

Beatriz Williams is the author of the historical fiction novel called The Beach At Summerly . The story takes place on Winthrop Island. The ...