Sunday, August 28, 2022

Overdue

I have mixed feelings about Amanda Oliver's non-fiction book titled Overdue: Reckoning With The Public Library. I liked the insight I got from her nine months of experience working at a public library in a run down section of Washington, D.C. Working there could be scary and she claims she got PTSD from her job. I enjoyed the facts about public libraries in our country. I enjoyed reading about the services libraries provide to people like who who come and check out books and to people who are houseless and need a warm space with free Wi-Fi and public bathrooms. What I didn't like is the pages spent on personal rants against cancel culture and the dangers of social media. I didn't see how those things related to public libraries. Several chapters were off the topic of public libraries.


 

No comments:

Time Of The Lotus Bloom

Now is the season for the blooming of American lotus. The flowers near shore stand higher above the water line than the flowers in deeper wa...