Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Last Few Thoughts about Kenya

If I stop blogging about my trip that will mean it's really over. I've been extending my enjoyment of the vacation by writing about it. Of all the thoughts I have, the most important is gratitude. I am so grateful I got to go there, was healthy there, was safe from rioting there, saw so much wildlife there, talked to so many people there, and learned so much there. Here are a couple other ideas that didn't make it into the other Africa entrys. When I arrived I saw small billboards advertising credit cards. The picture was of Santa Claus and the suggestion was to use your credit card to make it a Merry Christmas. I was surprised to see a rosy-cheeked, Caucasion Santa Claus in Kenya. I thought he would be black there. Another funny thing happened several times on the game drives. Muthoga would point out the window and say, "There's a bastard!" Huh? I can understand almost everything Muthoga says but it sounded like he said there is a bastard. "It's a cory bastard. It's the biggest bastard." I look out and I don't see any bastards. Eventually I figure out he is pointing at a bird. He shows us the page in his bird book. Oh, it's a bustard, a cory bustard. It's the biggest bustard.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...