Monday, June 18, 2012

Dressed Like A Nerd

My newest nature volunteer project is monitoring a monarch garden which happens to be in my own yard.  Once a week I look over all 20+ milkweed plants looking for monarch eggs and caterpillars and butterflies.  "So easy," I thought, being in my own back yard.  "So convenient."  Last night I monitored my plants and it didn't feel easy or convenient.  I was dressed like a nerd with my wellies, long pants under a sundress topped with hooded rain coat with the hood up and fastened tightly under the chin with a magnifying lens tied around my neck plus a two pocket apron tied around my waist.  I was sweltering in there but I still wished I had mittens on because the DARN MOSQUITOES WERE TRYING TO EAT ME ALIVE.  While monitoring the milkweed, I had to crouch down in the deep grass and look at the top and bottom of every leaf on the plant.  First I have to walk through the tall grass and alert the mosquitoes that I'm out there.  Then i bend down and hold still for them so they can bite me more easily.  The pants, coat, and hood kept the mosquitoes away except for the hands and face.  The mosquitoes are terrible this year which is why I dress like a nerd.  Sometimes I wonder, what do the neighbors think?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...