Thursday, October 26, 2017

What Defines A Bad Day?

This morning I went to the gym to lift weights before work.  I walked on the stair master for just a short while.  One other fella was on the stairs with me.  I didn't look closely but he was about 30.  He had headphones in his ears and was looking at a device.  At about 3 minutes before I was going to be done he loudly proclaimed "G__ Dammit!" He might not have known how loud he was because of the headphones but he sounded like a 7 year old boy about to have a meltdown. I don't know if anyone else heard him. I kept staring ahead.  I was trying to walk these stairs with good posture. A minutes later he repeats the cuss word with the same emotional upheaval and volume. I want to look at him but don't so I roll my eyes right and get a glimpse.  He's looking down into the phone. Why is he upset?  Is he looking at sports or politics or his bank account? Did he just get dumped?  Did his dog die? I go back to focusing on my posture.  I have about 7 seconds left on this machine and again he loudly wails, "G-- Dammit!" Ok, now it's funny.  I want to laugh out loud. I use my filter.  I finish my steps.  I'm breathing a little hard but I do not laugh as I dismount. I purse my lips tightly and feel sorry for this guy although I don't know why. I smile as I walk to the dressing room and I go to work where I want to tell this story to someone.  But I don't do that. At work the topic is the homeless man that has been hanging around our building and walking up and down the street.  His story is a sad one.  Here is a man who needs help and the authorities know he needs help and no help is given in a way he can accept. I have walked by him many times and said hello not knowing his difficulties.  I just admire his newsboy hat and his purposeful stride.  We all have bad days.  Our feelings about our bad days are valid. For me it helps me feel better to hear about someone else who has it worse.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...