Monday, April 8, 2024

Green Swamp

Years ago I went to a class about carnivorous plants. The speaker said there was a swamp near the North Carolina/South Carolina border. I wanted to visit the swamp ever since. Since Myrtle Beach is near the border I decided to drive 40 miles north to visit Green Swamp Nature Conservancy.

I saw about 80 of these swallowtail butterflies during my two hours at this swamp.

I met a couple of hikers and I asked them what they saw. They said they saw a couple Venus flytraps and sundew but they were very low to the ground. I came upon these yellow pitcher plants that were as high as my knee.

And they were beautiful.

The Nature Conservancy does periodic burns here to keep up the place.

I am glad I came to visit the swamp.

 

No comments:

Time Of The Lotus Bloom

Now is the season for the blooming of American lotus. The flowers near shore stand higher above the water line than the flowers in deeper wa...