Saturday, July 6, 2024

Mammoth Cave

 After our trip to New River Gorge we headed west into Kentucky. We camped at Mammoth Cave camp ground which is only a short walk from the visitor center. We set up camp. I had the 2 person mother-in-law tent. Our cave tour was set for 4 p.m. Unfortunately one grandgirl puked at 3 p.m. We rescheduled our cave tour for the next morning and it is a good thing we did because she puked again when we would have been in the cave. That afternoon a doe visited our camp and put her nose into our fire ring looking for treats. She was followed by 3 speckled fawns. I have never seen a deer have triplets before. At dark we went to bed. Thunderstorms rolled in at 11 complete with lightening and thunder. When the rain felt heavy I could feel droplets splashing me everywhere except under the rain flap which was about 2 feet square. I quickly hung my phone from a cord under the rain flap. Thunderstorms continued until 2 a.m. Oh, what a night.  I slept between 2 and 5 a.m. when I got up to get dressed. I was smart enough to keep all my other clothes in the car so they would stay dry. The next morning we headed for our cave tour. None of my photos turned out but we did have a nice trip into the cave. Now we need to work on a way to dry out a pillow, sleeping bag, sleeping mat and tent. Last time I was at Mammoth Cave we had bad weather. Tornadoes touched down in the area ruining a candle factory and killing people.

No comments:

Central High School

Today I drove to downtown Little Rock to visit the Central High School National Park. This is a gas station restored to look like 1957 acros...