Thursday, June 24, 2010

Planning Ahead


Last week I was reading an organizational ten year plan. I thought it sounded good. Planning that far ahead seemed like a wise move. Then I thought of myself. I should have a ten year plan. In ten years, I will be at a major transition in my life or at least close to retirement. I've worked since I was sixteen years old. I haven't had much practice at not working. And I don't think about retirement at all. I don't know how much I'll get from social security and my other investments. I put money away but I don't pay attention to it. I thought I should really plan for retirement. I mean really plan; not just say I'll plan but really do it. The next day one of my IRA advisors called me and asked me to set up an appointment with him if I had any questions. Wow, talk about good timing. The day after that another IRA advisor called and said the same thing. Two calls in two days. I took it as a sign to place a call so I did. This evening I met with one of the financial planners. I showed him all my papers. Turns out things are looking pretty good. If I keep up what I am doing and live simply yet comfortably, I'll have enough money to last until I'm 100 years old or more. It's a comforting thing to know! Then he asked me, "Think about the future. You are retired. Every day is a Saturday. What things will you want to do differently?" My first thought was to get rid of dial-up and get high-speed internet. My second thought was to travel more. I wish I had $10,000 per year to spend on travel. He challenged my thinking. If I sell my home, I would have a big pot of money. I don't have to buy another home. I could rent and save a lot of homeowner expenses. I could rent six months in one place and six months in another. I could spend a winter in Texas, the next in Florida, and the next in Arizona, Panama or California. I could live in places where I could ride a motorcycle 12 months a year - just think of it! I am putting away plenty of money now but if I saved more, I could do more in retirement. He gave me a good feeling of security and lots to think about.

2 comments:

Cajo said...

Just come home for holidays! Gotta get your MN winter in somehow.

Anonymous said...

I want to MISS the winter entirely. You can come and see me.

Bird Song

On Saturday night in conjunction with the Detroit Lakes Festival of Birds, we listened to Don Kroodsma speak about bird song. This retired p...