Tuesday, May 31, 2011

LIght


The graduation ceremonies at St. Olaf were very nice.  Light was the theme.  Graduates were encouraged to let their light shine - not to hide it.  Each graduate got a lantern.  After the illumination ceremony in Boe Chapel, families went outside on the dark campus to find their lantern.  Lanterns lined the sidewalks that formed the spoke of a wheel on the campus green.   S'mores were cooked over campfires.  As usual, music played a big part in the campus celebrations. We listened to the band, choir and orchestra.  The actual graduation ceremony was held inside at Skoglund Auditorium because the weather was threatening (although it did not rain).  The orchestra played "Pomp and Circumstance."  Each family got 3 tickets for the indoor ceremony and almost 700 people graduated. The ceremony went alphabetically. At first, the families were quiet as their graduate's name was called. By the time we got to the letter C, more noises were made.  We discussed the merits of making noise. I offered to ululate. I know how.  But I have to practice a few before I get it right and I knew I could not practice at this officious ceremony.  When Offspring #2's name was called, I yelled but could not hear myself because Offspring #1, normally a quiet person, yelled so loud he about took my left ear out.  Wow, he can yell. We all had nametags to wear. Former Ole's had their graduation year on the nametag.  Most parents graduated in 1980 or 1981.  At the end, after all the clapping and appreciating, the St. Olaf fight song was played.  This is the first time I heard the song and frankly, it made me laugh out loud.  What kind of fight song sounds like a polka?  The refrains have a lot of "Um Ya Ya's" in it.  For each "Ya" and arm goes up in the air.  When I saw 700 graduate arms, 50 staff arms, and hundreds and hundreds of alum arms go up for each and every "Ya Ya's" I  had to laugh out loud again.  This truly was quite a moment.  Silly as the song is, it's still running through my head two days later.



No comments:

The Beach At Summerly

Beatriz Williams is the author of the historical fiction novel called The Beach At Summerly . The story takes place on Winthrop Island. The ...