Monday, May 16, 2011

Human Rototiller

I am a human rototiller.  I've been digging up my vegetable garden section by section. The garden is pretty big and has 6 sections divided by fence posts.  I limit myself to a 1/6 section at a time.  More than that isn't good for my back. So far I have 4 of the six sections done. I take a spade and push it in the ground with my foot, lift and turn.  As I turn the soil, I work in the compost that I threw out there last fall.  I examine the compost.  Considering all that went into that compost I am surprised at what little remains recognizable.  Besides leaves and grass, I add chicken manure, apple and other peels, cores, corn leaves and cobs, coffee grounds, tea bags, egg shells, banana skins, broccoli stems, and celery trimmings.  All I can really make out are peach pits and the stickers/labels from fruit skins.  All the corn cobs are composted into invisibility.  The egg shells have dissolved. The peelings and apple cores are gone.  All that is left is rich, aromatic organic material that will help my vegetables grow.  The earth looks great.  I see lots of angleworms (which is good) and no cutworms (also good).  I usually have my garden planted by the middle of May.  This year it will be later because of the late spring.  I took a couple days vacation this week to get the garden planted.

No comments:

The Beach At Summerly

Beatriz Williams is the author of the historical fiction novel called The Beach At Summerly . The story takes place on Winthrop Island. The ...