Friday, October 21, 2011

Compost Wars

I've struggled with one of my compost piles in the past.  Located next to an apple tree (for my convenience) the compost was violated by apple tree roots.  The apple tree sent it's hungry roots into the nutrient rich compost.   The roots infiltrated the compost and grabbed hold of it tight like a mother holds a baby.  I would try to pull the compost out and spread it around and ended up playing tug-of-war with the apple tree. So I sought advice and was told that a layer of landscape fabric on the floor of the compost pile would keep the roots out.  That advice didn't work. The roots easily pierced three layers of landscape fabric.  Getting the compost out that year was harder than ever.  Last fall I tried a new technique.  I put a double layer of green tarp down.  I tied the tarp to the sides of the compost pile so that the tarp climbed up 10 inches on 3 of the 4 sides of the pile.  Whaddya know?  This worked!  When I pulled the compost out a couple weeks ago, the compost was not infiltrated with apple tree roots.  Only one small root pierced the tarp.  Once I got most of the weight of the compost out of the pile, I untied the tarp and pulled the tarp out into the garden to empty it completely.  And with all the chicken manure, this was some prime compost.  Success!  I am smarter than an apple tree!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...