Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Time To Stop!

Earlier in the summer I made cherry jelly with the cherries in my yard.  After that, because I couldn't eat or freeze an entire lug of Colorado peaches before they went bad I made peach jam.  Now I went ahead and made a batch of jalapeno jelly with the peppers I got from my CSA allotment.  Now it is time to stop making jam and stop making jelly.  I don't usually eat jelly more than twice year.  I don't know what is getting into me.  I saw on facebook that a cousin of mine liked the jalapeno jelly his sister made and I got intrigued with the idea of spicy and sweet.  So I made the jalapeno jelly.  Normally, when I make jelly or jam my entire house fills up with the delicious aroma of cooking fruit.  This is not the case with making jalapeno jelly.  The recipe calls for blending 12 jalapeno peppers and one green pepper with a cup of vinegar.  I add another cup of vinegar and the pectin and cook that until it boils fully. The aroma of cooking peppers in vinegar is not a delicious one at all.  After that I added the sugar and stirred until it returned to a rolling boil and let it boil 1 full minute before putting it into jars.  The color is nice and I can see little specks of pepper and the taste is good but not as spicy as I would like.  I took the seeds out of all the jalapenos except one.  Next time I would leave the insides of two or possibly three jalapenos to increase the spiciness.  If there is a next time.  We'll see if people like this jalapeno jelly.  I'm afraid if I give a jar of jalapeno jelly to someone as a Christmas gift they may think I am being passive aggressive.

No comments:

The Beach At Summerly

Beatriz Williams is the author of the historical fiction novel called The Beach At Summerly . The story takes place on Winthrop Island. The ...