Thursday, November 19, 2020

Buck On A Bridge

 Today on my daily walk I headed west to the Twin Pond area near the Enger tower. A six mile walk is good exercise. Quite often I have a view of Lake Superior and/or the mouth of the Saint Louis river and seeing all that blue water is calming. I am walking along, almost to my turn around point, and I get to the part where a sidewalk leaves the road and a little wooden bridge goes over the stream that empties the twin ponds. Standing on that bridge is a deer looking at me. This deer is standing out in the open on the bridge. I stop walking. This deer has an impressive set on antlers on his head with at least 3 or 4 points on both sides. I smile at the deer. This sounds crazy but I think the deer smiled back at me. A car approached me on the road, saw the situation, and stopped to watch. The deer wanted to cross the road and get into the woods on the other side. I was standing on the road in his way. I stood still as the deer slowly approached with one eye on me and the other eye on the waiting car. The deer got off the bridge, came down the sidewalk for a bit and then angled through the snow and the grass up the hill. He crossed the road maybe 8 feet ahead of me midway between the car and myself. The deer crossed the road and sedately strolled ahead with his tail hanging down. A few steps into the woods he disappeared. I proceeded to finish my walk. As I passed the car the driver rolled down his window and waved at me. We both shared a special moment today.

No comments:

One Puzzling Afternoon

 Emily Critchley is the author of One Puzzling Afternoon , a mystery historical fiction novel set in a small town in the British Isles. Edie...