Saturday, November 7, 2020

One Bold Chickadee


 Today I had a break from my usually socially distanced life. I met some friends who were taking full advantage of the warmer weather by camping at Jay Cook State Park. When I arrived at campsite #65 I met my friends and another person I hadn't met before. We started out eating our lunches at the picnic table. One bold chickadee flew down and landed on a plate next to a piece of bread spread with peanut butter and took a beakful of peanut butter before flying back. Next it came back and took a bite of banana. The picture shows the bold chickadee eyeing the banana before it takes a bite.  Seeing this I spread some peanut butter on my finger and held it out hoping the chickadee would eat the peanut butter off of my finger. For a half hour I had peanut butter on my finger before I finally licked it off myself. One of my friends had an E bike. She let me take it for a spin. I have thought about buying an E bike because I live in a hilly town now so I was excited to try it out. I biked around the loop of the campgrounds. The bike has three levels of assistance. I was on the lowest level of assistance. I was encouraged to try the middle level of assistance and suddenly I am going faster than I wanted to go on a gravel surface. I can't imagine what the highest level of assistance would feel like. After lunch we walked down to the swinging bridge and hiked to the other side. We hiked the  Superior Hiking Trail for awhile before heading back towards the campsites. We wanted to be back before it got dark. Dinner was made and we sat by the campfire enjoying the nice evening and talking. Hiking with others was a nice treat. Sitting by a campfire was also a nice treat. Today was a good day.

No comments:

One Puzzling Afternoon

 Emily Critchley is the author of One Puzzling Afternoon , a mystery historical fiction novel set in a small town in the British Isles. Edie...