Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Olden Days - Like the 1980's?

Today I was consulting with a 22 year old whippersnapper - a supposed Excel wizard. I showed him our dinosaur of a mailing list - an excel spreadsheet with 7 columns and 987 entries. I showed him how I sort and find things. I, and others, have worked hard on this mailing list. We've kept it up to date. We've made improvements over the years. I asked him what he thought. He said, "Insane!" I look at him until he notices and then he adds, "But not in a bad way." I asked for his advice on how to move those addresses onto envelopes or labels. He showed me a way that I already was using. I asked for advice on how to improve this dinosaur. He said he would look it over if I e-mailed him a copy. He told me to be sure not to replace his version with my own because I might loose what I had. Well, I already knew that. There is no way I am going to jeopardize my dinosaur of a mailing list because I cannot imagine having to enter all that data again. The he asked me a question. He says, "How did you address envelopes in the olden days - like the 1980's?" Suppressing the urge to slap his pretty face I answered with clenched jaw, "We typed out a mailing list on a typewriter. We copied off that list to type out an envelope or else we wrote it in longhand." He looks at my with his big blue eyes widened and tosses his blond bangs back on his forehead. "Insane!" he says again. "Totally, " I add, knowing we're not talking about the same thing. When did I get old? How did it happen? Wasn't it just last week I got my driving license? If it is true that I am old (and I'm not saying it is), when will I feel mature?

.

1 comment:

Kemskes said...

You're not old and if you're like me you will never feel mature - that's for old folks.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...