Monday, December 7, 2009

Snow Reveals Secrets


One thing I do like about snow is the secrets it can reveal. I hear from my coworkers that snow is predicted for us soon. This photo shows little bird tracks on my deck. Snow allows me to see where the squirrels come and go in the yard. I have found deer tracks in the snow on my sidewalk - right up to the front door of the house, as bold as you please. I heard on the news that a mountain lion was spotted on a police dash camera crossing Highway 169 right at the Mississippi River; less than six miles from my house. That is four lanes of traffic right there unless it crossed at the lights in which case it could be eight lanes. Amazing!!! Mountain lions have been spotted in Minnesota before but no cubs have been found. Until cubs are found, mountain lions are considered to be transient; furry pilgrims traveling through. I really hope mountain lions get established here. I think our ecosystem will be healthier with more secondary predators. Plus more mountain lions would equal fewer deer which equals fewer car/deer accidents. I'm sure we would loose some cats and dogs. Would that be so bad? I heard on Saturday that house cats kill one million song birds per day. I would feel terrible if my pet were killed by a mountain lion. On the other hand, there are a couple standard sized poodles in my neighborhood who cry like babies EVERY SINGLE MORNING when they aren't let back in the house as soon as they wish. You should hear them. By the sound they make you'd think they were being murdered.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...