Sunday, December 6, 2009

Scatter the Darkness


"Scatter the Darkness" is the name of the St. Olaf Christmas music festival this year. Voices of almost 500 young men and women blended together with a full orchestra. This is the concert you can see on public television during the holiday season. We sat behind the basses in the orchestra. I had a good view of the tuba player, the organist and the trombone players. I enjoyed seeing all the young adults moving with the music and singing their little hearts out. One song was new to me - "Jesus Christ The Apple Tree." What is wrong with me? Again with the involuntary snort and subsequent breath holding to abort the snort! All through the song I kept thinking of sentences that would start with "Jesus Christ the apple tree." Jesus Christ the apple tree fell over; is on fire; dropped all the apples; is beautiful this year; is dying; grew a lot; has lots of apples; has no apples this year; is full of cedar wax-wings; has worms hanging all over it. I suspect I have a deviant sense of humor. The concert was great. I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...