Monday, October 24, 2022

A Simple Favor

 Darcey Bell wrote the novel A Simple Favor. In this story a widowed mother of a five year old, Stephanie, meets the married working mom of her five year old's best friend, Emily. Stephanie is a mommy blogger. Emily commutes two hours to work in the high end fashion field in Manhattan. Their boys are friends and like to play together and have sleep overs at both houses. One day Emily asks Stephanie to pick up her son after school saying she would come and pick him up by 9 p.m. She is asking for a simple favor. Nothing about these two women is simple. The story is narrated by Emily, Stephanie, and Sean who is married to Emily. All the  narrators are unreliable but Emily is the worst. Emily lies so much she doesn't even know what the truth is anymore.  I liked the two boys but I did not like any of the narrators. I guess unreliable narrators are a trick to use when writing mystery stories but I just found these characters to be repugnant. I thought the plot was convoluted too. This wasn't my favorite book to read.



No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...