Monday, October 10, 2022

We Need To Talk About Kevin

 Lionel Shriver is the author of We Need To Talk About Kevin. I assumed Lionel was a man's name but actually the author is a woman. The novel is epistolatory. In a series of letters Eva writes to her estranged husband, Franklin, Eva recounts their marriage and the births of their two children. Kevin is the eldest and his little sister appeared eight years later. From birth Kevin was a difficult child. Kevin was smart but uncooperative. Eva worried about his behavior but Franklin always shut her down and took Kevin's side. Kevin was difficult to love and had no friends. Eva wondered if Kevin was a psychopath. I don't want to spoil the ending but Eva was correct. The story was riveting. I understand this novel was made into a movie with Tilda Swinton and John C. Reilly as Eva and Franklin. I enjoyed the story but I don't think I want to see the movie because I worry the crime scene will be upsetting to witness.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...