Thursday, October 20, 2022

Hiking Class

 

This week my hiking class hiked over 3 miles near Amity Creek off Vermillion Road past the Park Hill Cemetery. I am not sure who owns this land but there are public trails to follow. We started off east of the road where the creek was. Here is a picture of the water in the creek looking as pretty as a Japanese garden. We hiked around a little lake and past a city gravel pit and back to Vermillion road. Then we hiked on the west side of Vermillion road up a steep ridge of forest. There were oaks and aspen and maples and poplar trees. For over an hour I saw no houses, no roads, no telephone wires. In other words I saw nothing but wilderness. Suddenly there was a house with solar panels. Turns out that house belongs to a woman hiking with us today. She has a nice spot. The weather was about fifty degrees. I had two shirts and a wool coat which is good for waiting for the hike to start but too hot once we got going. The leaves were very noisy underfoot but they smelled great. I enjoyed hiking behind someone who knew where she was going so I could relax and not worry about getting lost.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...