I read (listened to) another non-fiction book. This one is by Annie Prouix. She wrote Fen, Bog And Swamp; A Short History Of Peatland Destruction And It's Role In The Climate Crisis. I liked her book The Shipping News and I saw the movie based on her book, Brokeback Mountain. This time she writes about the history of bogs, fens and swamps as well as marine estuaries and mangroves. Bogs, fens and swamps can be difficult to travel through which is why some are drained or farmed. She writes that human bodies left in a fen will dissolve but the bones remain. Human bodies left in a bog will preserve the soft tissue but the bones will be dissolved by the sphagnum moss. She is a very entertaining writer while she blends nature, chemistry, history, ecology and economics.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Intermezzo
Sally Rooney is the author of Intermezzo . Set in Dublin, Ireland, the story follows two brothers in the year after their father's dea...
-
I received a gift from Offspring #1 - a collection of lectures on compact disk about Medieval Heroines in History and Legend. The speaker is...
-
A yellow rail, one of THE MOST ELUSIVE birds around, sound like a manual typewriter. And if you're too young to know what a manual ty...
-
Today I was home quite a bit and saw a plethora of birds in my yard including two "first of the year" birds at opposite ends of...

No comments:
Post a Comment