Wednesday, August 14, 2024

The Black Hills

 I thought I would read a western for a change and since I went to the Black Hills last summer, I chose The Black Hills by William W. Johnstone. I guess he is the #1 best selling western writer in our country. The story is about Hunter Buchanan who has returned from fighting in the civil war and is determined not to kill anyone else. His father and two brothers carry guns but he doesn't. He also has a pet coyote that he names Bobby Lee. As he is heading to town with a horse and wagon delivering 5 barrels of his father's home brewed ale to town someone starts shooting at him. Bobby Lee comes to his rescue. Hunter throws a rock at his assailant's head. In the end the assailant is dead from a knife would to the gut. This is only the beginning. There is an abundance of killing in this book. I would estimate at least 50 men died from gun shots. I didn't enjoy the violence but I did enjoy reading about Hunter and the beautiful country that makes up the Black Hills.


No comments:

Central High School

Today I drove to downtown Little Rock to visit the Central High School National Park. This is a gas station restored to look like 1957 acros...