Saturday, February 15, 2014

The All-Girl Filling Station Last Reunion

Oh, Fannie Flagg, how she makes me laugh.  What other author would ever write a sentence such as this?  "You know, a woman doesn't reach her sexual peak until age 60?"  Oh, she makes me laugh.  And while I was laughing I learned some history while reading The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion.  One thing I learned about was the WASPS.  I love that word.  Wasps.  Say it out loud.  Wasps.  Cracks me up because it is impossible to wasps with any dignity.  The WASPS were the first women to fly military planes.  Although not officially not a part of the United States military, they flew planes from the factory to military bases all over the country.  Unfortunately the WASPS never got the recognition they deserved. What I like most about Fannie is the way she writes about female friendships.  I can just tell, by reading her hilarious works, that she must have some very good friends in her life.  So if you are up for some feminist hilarity, be sure to read this book.

No comments:

The Beach At Summerly

Beatriz Williams is the author of the historical fiction novel called The Beach At Summerly . The story takes place on Winthrop Island. The ...