Thursday, May 22, 2014

Veery Very Close

Last night when I finished mowing I had to wait a few minutes for the buzzing to leave my ears.  It wasn't just grass I was mowing but also some sticks, twigs, young raspberry canes and several smaller trees.  When my hearing ability came back to me I heard one of the most beautiful bird calls I have ever heard. A veery was very close.  If not in my yard it was in an adjacent lot.  If I had to guess I'd say the veery was in the undeveloped woodland to my southwest.  The sound they make is flute like - as if someone was twirling a huge pipe in the air very fast.  The metallic sound they make goes down in tone.  The veery call is so pretty I just have to share:


No comments:

The Beach At Summerly

Beatriz Williams is the author of the historical fiction novel called The Beach At Summerly . The story takes place on Winthrop Island. The ...