Sunday, December 27, 2015

Wait, what?

Sometimes in conversations it is hard for me to keep up.  Something is said that I can't comprehend right away so either I get lost or I say, "Wait, what?"  The other day my father was talking about doors.  Thirty inch doors, thirty two inch doors, and thirty four inch doors were mentioned while I'm thinking that I don't know the size of a single door in my entire house.  How can he keep all those door sizes in his head with all the other stuff he knows?  He seems to know the dimensions of all his doors.  He talks about getting a door from a cabin his sister had on Lake Carlos in Alexandria designed by that architect from Wisconsin.  Wait, what?  Are you talking about Frank Lloyd Wright?  "Yeah," he says, "that architect from Wisconsin."  I am sure Wisconsin has many architects.  Not entirely sure that he heard me I repeated, "Frank Lloyd Wright, right?"  He goes on talking about door sizes and I travel back in time to a visit to this cabin. What do I remember? I remember my cousin sitting under the kitchen table eating an entire stick of butter.  I remember my older cousin, a college student, driving a jet boat on the lake.  And most of all I remember their awesome mail box that consisted of a Franklin stove for the bills, a regular letter box for the letters, and a tiny mail box 15 feet up in the air for the air mail. I have always been fond of unusual mailboxes.  I interrupt the door size conversation to ask if he remembers the mailbox (mailboxes).  He responds, "Does a bear sit in the woods?"  Wait, what?  Does he know that is funny because of the other bodily function a bear does in the woods?  I am astounded that my uncle commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright to design his cabin.  I almost can't believe it.  While we talk about doors Offspring #2 looks it up.  Turns out a man with the same name as my uncle did have a cabin designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.  On his property he had an 800 pound gorilla statue that he bought in Mexico and shipped to Alexandria.  Could that gorilla be mistaken for a bear?  Wait, what? This is true.  I think Frank Lloyd Wright would roll over in his grave if he knew there was such a kitschy mailbox outside the cabin he designed on the shore of Lake Carlos.  I know this sounds fantastic but here is a link to the article and a google image of the bear gorilla:


 http://www.alexmn.com/real-estate/5175-County-Road-11-NE-Alexandria-MN-56308-mls_10-13862/

c
All I know is I have put visiting this property on Lake Carlos on my to do list the next time I am in that area.

 

No comments:

The Beach At Summerly

Beatriz Williams is the author of the historical fiction novel called The Beach At Summerly . The story takes place on Winthrop Island. The ...