Thursday, December 8, 2011

Eagles on Ten

Earlier this fall I noticed a bald eagle nest off of Highway 10.  The nest is located in a huge wetland that surrounds Coon Creek as it flows under the highway between Hanson Blvd. and Main Street in Coon Rapids.  If you are heading west on Highway 10, you can see the eagle nest  about .2 of a mile off the road on your right and about .5 miles before you get to Main Street.  Years ago eagles nested in a grove of trees off that same wetland but closer to Hanson Boulevard.  When the city of Coon Rapids decided to develop parts of this wetland (and I don't know how they get away with this because I thought wetlands were protected), they cut down the trees that held the nest.  So the eagles moved to the trees on the other side of the creek.  I have never seen any eagles on the nest.  On days not suitable for riding a motorcycle (which are many) I go by this spot at least twice a day.  Many times the traffic is backed up and I have to keep my eyes on the road.  I can't be focusing on eagle nests or I'd have an accident.  This week a friend of mine saw two eagles in the nest.  She has a teenage daughter practicing her driving skills so she had the time to focus on the nest. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...