Saturday, December 24, 2011

Harrowing Ride

Driving conditions on our trip to New Mexico were generally really good.  We had dry roads 98% of the time.  We saw sunshine and puffy clouds.  The scenery was awesome.  But on the way back, we ran into a storm and for two hours on Thursday morning, I didn't want to be there.  As we left our cozy accommodations in Taos, which included an outdoor hot tub with fireworks to enjoy AND a fireplace in our room, we headed north out of New Mexico and into southern Colorado.  The air smelled so good up here.  Ravens croaked at us as we loaded the car.  We saw some black billed magpies on the sides of the roads.  Our first sign of trouble was snow blowing across the road which was really nothing to worry about unless you took it as a sign of trouble to come.  The trouble came when we turned right onto Colorado Highway 160 headed east near Fort Garland.  As I stopped at the stop sign to turn right, four white vehicles passed by traveling pretty close together.  I remember saying, I wonder if it is good luck or bad luck that I am behind these four vehicles?  The vehicle I got behind was a white Ford Expedition.  Snow started falling.  Ten minutes later snow was really coming down hard.  The wind blew the snow at our windshield.  I kept up with the white Ford Expedition.  These hilly and curvy roads are usually my favorite kind but not today.  A lighted highway sign announced that semi's had to put chains on before proceeding.  Several trucks were pulled over on the side of the road applying their chains.  I had heard about weather conditions being a problem and that is why we left early to try and outrun the storm.  That plan didn't work so well.  As we drove this mountainous road, the speed limit was 65 mpg.  No one was going that fast.  We started out about 50 miles per hour.  As the snow accumulated on the road, we slowed down to 40 mph.  No one was passing anyone.  Even if there was a passing lane where the road went up a large hill, no one passed.  It wasn't safe to pass.  We couldn't see the lanes anymore anyway. A gold Saturn sedan came up behind me.  I could see a couple young guys in the car.  I looked at them because he was tailgating me.  I don't like being tailgated so closely when the road is slippery.  Then the weather got really bad.  We were traveling 20 miles per hour.  The wind was blowing so hard I lost sight of my Ford Expedition.  Why are all the trucks out here white?  A colorful truck would have been much easier to follow.  Sometimes the black mirrors on my Expedition was all I had.  And sometimes I didn't even have that.  I could not see the sides of the road.  What can a person do?  I had to keep going.  Once in a while I could glimpse a rock wall to my right or left.  I knew if we could see, we would enjoy some beautiful mountains here.  There was no place to stop and no towns.  I saw a sign that said 9 miles to the summit.  Wolf Creek pass is at 10,850 feet.  That was not encouraging.  Sometimes I could make out a curve sign with a speed limit of 50 mph.  Well, we were going 20 mph for at least an hour.  I felt connected to my Ford Expedition.  And I felt angry at the Saturn for tailgating so close.  What was the point?  Was he afraid of loosing sight of me that he stayed so gosh darned close?  I didn't want to loose my Ford Expedition but I kept a respectful distance.  I wondered what would happen if someone in this line of cars stopped.  How many cars would touch?  My Ford Expedition driver tended to brake quite frequently without really slowing down which, for me, just made him easier to see.  I don't brake as often but I did tap on my brakes to get the Saturn off my tail a couple times.  He didn't respond by backing off though.  We came to the top of the pass and headed downhill.  My eyes were getting tired from trying to see ahead.  I hoped the weather would improve at lower altitudes.  Eventually the line of cars in front of me did suddenly slow way down.  I braked.  I knew it!  The Saturn was too close.  He turned his steering wheel to the left and his right front bumper touched my left rear bumper.  That son of a gun!  I was furious with him and I gestured with my arms up at the Saturn passenger as he looked at me over his right shoulder.  He had slid into the oncoming lane and was trying to stay on the road.  He hit me, the jerk!  What could I do?  I couldn't get out of the car to look for damage because it was to dangerous to stand on a snowy mountain road in a blizzard with cars coming at me.  I had to continue. He didn't hit me hard but he did hit me.  I felt my car move forward when he hit me so that probably lessened the blow.  I planned to pull over and talk to this guy the first safe place to stop.  I rehearsed my first words to him and the lines went from "Tailgate much?" to "What have we learned today, son?"  The lines of cars continued down the mountain and into a valley. By now over a foot of snow had fallen.  We noticed the Saturn did not have a front license plate.  As the minutes ticked by, I wondered what were the chances that this tailgating fool would stop when I pulled over.  I figured 50%.  He might just blow me off.  We started to see signs of civilization.  We passed a house.  The snow in the driveway was too deep for me to turn into.  We came to the town of Walsenburg.  Even the side streets had too much snow for me to use.  I saw a 7-11 ahead with a clearer driveway.  I gestured to my tailgating Saturn to turn off here.  I turned in.  He didn't.  That son of a gun hit and ran.  His rear license plate was completely covered in snow.  I couldn't even tell what state he was from.  Karma is going to get him.  Even if he doesn't feel guilt and remorse, what goes around comes around.  I pulled up to a gas pump and got out of my car to look for damage.  The back end of my car was completely covered in snow.  I couldn't read my own license plate. I took a paper towel and wiped off the snow and the mud.  I really couldn't see any damage but I wouldn't know for sure until I got a car wash.  We got gas and continued on to Interstate 25.  I had talked to a man in a roofing truck at the store and decided to follow him. He seemed friendly and responsible.  The snow slowed down a little.  The road conditions improved. If my roofing truck passed someone, I did too.  We could use both lanes on this divided freeway.  By the time we got to the outskirts of Denver, we could see actual pavement.  The road was wet and a little icy but at least we could see it. We ran into a couple snow squalls but they didn't last long and snow did not accumulate on the road.  The rest of the way home was just fine.  But dang, Colorado Highway 160 was a difficult road to take.  A little danger always adds to the enjoyment of a trip.  And a car accident with minimal or no damage is the best kind to have.  A hit and run accident adds to the drama.  Or maybe I should say a hit and follow for an hour and then drive off like nothing ever happened accident adds to the drama. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...