Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A Year In Review

2014 has been a good year for me; action packed, zig zaggy and plenty of adventure.  If I had a gratefullness indicator the needle would be way over to the full.  In January my pulse raced as I drove down the road and saw my very first snowy owl.  That owl sighting was SO exciting.  In February I went to a very cold bird festival near Duluth where I saw northern hawk owls and beautiful pine grossbeaks and one nervous boreal chickadee.  I didn't get to see a great gray owl but that is acceptable because now I have a reason to return to the Sax Zim Bog.  Also in February I took a class on making yogurt and cheese and I have been making those products ever since.  In March I celebrated my car when the odometer turned 200,000 miles.  In April I enjoyed the beginning of spring and making maple syrup.  In May I heard my first whippoorwill and ate my first morel mushroom that had been found in the woods.  I saw a white faced ibis and I went to a master naturalist convention that was tons of fun.  In June I took a week off of work to study prairies and potholes which was challenging and inspiring.  I also started getting produce from a CSA (consumer supported agriculture) and began to enjoy week after week of fresh organic produce.  My eating habits changed for the better in June.  In July I enjoyed camping with family and accidentally scaring everyone in my group with my dream of an owl trying to carry me out of my tent.  Plus I was able to witness my nephew play the lead role in a play and I was blown away by his talent.  In August I had a couple great trips on the motorcycle including one around Lake Minnetonka and one to see a wood stork.  Plus I got to be Smokey the Bear at the fair which is the ultimate ego booster for me.  In September Offspring #2 mostly finished the deck.  And we went on an organized bike ride from Saint Paul to Stillwater where I was very proud that I was able to keep up.  In October I spent a weekend near Urbank where I was able to indulge in nostalgia while cleaning the house where my Grandparent lived and track a deer.  In November I was blown away by the effort put into the turkey coloring contest pages.  We enjoyed  a great holiday dinner.  December was extremely busy with a week at Sanibel Island where the birds and scenery were great but the closer relationships with family was even greater. After that I was ready for a new hip that will improve my quality of life to a huge degree.  I read lots of great books and saw many good movies.  I have nothing to complain about the year 2014.  Absolutely nothing.  Enough looking back.  Let us all look ahead to what 2015 will bring.  I think it's gonna be great!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...