Saturday, November 11, 2017

Black Like Me

Disclaimer: I am not black. My melanin is uneven which is why I was never a fan of Freckle-face Strawberry flavored Kool-Aid. I am considered to be a white person with freckles and other lovely markings. Black Like Me  is a book written by John Howard Griffin. Mr. Griffin is also considered to be a white person. Whether Mr. Griffin is sane is a question I would ask but I am not sure he is still alive. He wrote this book in the same decade that I was born. This is a story of a white man who pretended to be black in Mississippi and Louisiana in the 19 freaking 50's! You can see why I question his sanity. He writes of his experience as if he were writing a grocery list. If any readers out there question why the streets and highways of Minneapolis were closed for protest reasons in recent years, just read this book. Then you will understand why black lives matter.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...