Friday, February 9, 2018

Bonus!

Driving home from work tonight, after the gym, I was making decisions. I had a grocery list in my pocket. Should I go to the grocery store?  I had materials I  had requested at the library available for pick-up.  Should I stop at the library?  The chickens are going to need some attention tonight. Wouldn't it be nice to do the chicken duties by the light of the sun instead of a headlamp?  Friday afternoon traffic is heavy today. As I listen to a book on CD in the heavy rush hour traffic I kinda zone out when all of a sudden I blurt out, "Son of a bi##h! Jiminy Cricket!" What is that I see on top of the light illuminating the intersection of Highway 10 and Seventh Ave. in Anoka?  Is it an angel? A white-morphed red tailed hawk?  Could it be? Is it really? I safely exit and take the next right on a dead end road between the highway and the railroad tracks. There, perched on top of a street light, is a short necked bird otherwise known as a snowy owl! Where is the camera?  (at home).  Where are the binoculars?  Oh, right here. I park the car. I look and stare in wonder.  The owl is nervous. The owl flies off the lamp post and lands on a traffic sign closer to Seventh Avenue. I move my car but the chain link fence is in my way.  All I have is my phone camera. The top of the chain link fence remains in the way. I wonder what the motorists in the exit ramp think of me taking their photo? I watch the owl for 5 minutes and it flies back on top of the light post. I drive away so happy with this reward of a snowy owl sighting. Is this my reward for 40 hours of hard work?  Oh, wait, I already got a paycheck today.  This must be my bonus!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...