Saturday, February 24, 2018

One Thing Leads To Another

Some friends of mine came over today bearing gifts. They brought me a tray of seedlings of kale and lettuce and beets and other vegies. We took a hydroponic gardening class together last year and they knew I had trouble getting seeds started.  They are into micro greens. They claim micro greens are healthier for you than sprouts. I accepted the gift graciously.  These friends live about a mile away as the crow flies. Crows probably do fly between my house and their house. Also deer probably munch on their hostas after they munch on my hostas. But these friends have never been to my house before so I invited them in for tea. We got to talking.  We both raise chickens for eggs. I have never been to their house and it sounds like their chickens have a much nicer home.  I described my chickens as slackers and was especially derogatory about the cuckoo marans.  After my friends left I also left to run some errands. By the time I got home a couple inches of snow had fallen. I went out my chicken coop to give them a treat of sunflower seeds and to make sure they were snug and warm for a winter storm.  Just on a whim I opened the coop to check for eggs and much to my chagrin was a cocoa brown egg of a cuckoo maran. It is possible that egg was laid at the same time I was talking smack about the chicken in question. I thanked the chickens for the egg.  After a two month fallow period I figured this must be a powerfully healthy egg.  I brought it in the house and fried it in my cast iron pan with cabbage, kale and Brussels sprouts and ate it with a piece of bread from St. John's Abbey.  After that snack I felt so good I strapped on my snow shoes and walked around the block (on top of the snow banks like I used to do when I was a kid).  Isn't it funny how one thing leads to another?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...