Saturday, October 19, 2019

Black Spruce Down

I had two black spruce trees to the east of my house. Normally black spruce are not used in landscaping because they aren't as beautiful as the other spruces. Black spruce like wet feet and my yard is sandy and not wet at all. This black spruce had lots of witches broom growths. I was fond of this tree though. I saw it out of my bedroom window. I know blue jays nested in this tree. Some years I cut down a branch that grew upwards and used it as a holiday tree. I decided to cut it down though because it was touching my house. I hired a guy to cut it down. I hoped he would cut it down this coming Monday so I could watch the work. I figure if I'm paying for someone to work at least I should get to watch. But this week I came home late. As I put my chickens to bed with my headlamp on my forehead I walked right by this tree and didn't notice it was down. In the morning, again with the headlamp, I let the chickens out and walked back to the front door and was I ever surprised to see this tree stump! How did I manage to miss it the night before?

The tree arborist did an excellent job. This tree stump is only inches high. He offered to grind out the stump but I declined because it is too near my natural gas line. Farewell black spruce! The blue jays will have to find a new home next spring.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...