Thursday, October 10, 2019

Flat On The Bottom

I got a flat tire on Tuesday. I noticed the passenger rear tire was low on Monday afternoon so I filled it with air and hoped I would get through another day but that didn't happen. I had an appointment after work to get the tire repaired. Luckily I know how to change tires. My father taught me how to change a tire before he let me drive my car away alone so I know how to change tires. Over the years I have changed many tires. I used to buy retreads - tires that were worn out and someone cut deeper treads into the tire. Those retreads never lasted long but they were affordable for me when I was young and poor so I bought them. I don't buy retreads anymore. A friend from work came out to offer assistance. I pulled the donut tire out of the trunk and assembled the jack. In our busy parking lot we set down to the task. The lug nuts were on very tight. I have dealt with this before so I put the lug wrench at just the right angle and, while hanging onto the car, stood on the lug wrench to loosen the nut. I had two lug nuts loosened before this man saw what I was doing and offered to help. I let him help. Once the nuts were loose we jacked up the car. We had the car jacked up so the tire, which was only flat on the bottom, could spin. But the wheel would not pull off the axle. Another man came by to help. I told him he could help. This guy did not speak English but he could work a tire like a pro. He banged on the tire and got it loose from the axle. We handed him the donut and he handed us the flat tire. He put the donut on the axle and hand tightened the lug nuts. My car has four lug nuts so he tightened the two across from each other before tightening the other two which is just like I would have done. Then he lowered the jack so the donut was resting on the asphalt. I kept lowering the jack while he tightened the lug nuts on very tight. My guess is he comes to this building to take English as a second language lessons. He had a notebook in his hands. We thanked him and he responded but not in English before he scurried off. Looking at the other tires I saw that they had very little tread left. After washing my hands I cancelled my appointment to get the tire repaired and made another appointment to install four new sixteen inch tires. After work I drove on side roads so as to stay below 50 miles per hour. Within an hour I was on my way with four new tires. Problem solved. Changing tires is a life skill every adult should learn. I counted myself lucky. A sunny day and moderate temperatures is a great day to get a flat tire. With winter approaching soon, I am glad I have good tires to get through all the snow that is going to fall.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...