Wednesday, October 23, 2019

The Golden Spruce

About ten years ago a friend recommended I read The Golden  Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness and Greed by John Vaillant. She likes non-fiction stories and adventure stories. I was always going to read this book but lately I had the time to enjoy it. I proposed the book to my book club. Even though they didn't choose to read this book, I chose to read it by myself. The story is about an unusual tree in British Columbia that was revered by the Haida tribe. This Sitka spruce had a genetic mutation that made it appear yellow. A man named Grant Hadwin took it upon himself to cut this tree down. Why he did that is unknown. Also unknown is what happened to Grand Hadwin. He disappeared before he could be punished. I suspect he had mental illness. Many of his decisions were not sensible choices. At one time he was an environmentalist but he will be remembered as an eco-vandal.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...