Monday, December 21, 2020

Happy Winter Solstice

 

Today is the shortest day of 2020. I spent 2.5 of my hours of daylight taking a walk along Lake Superior. Four inches of snow fell this morning and it was lightly snowing again. The temperature was just below freezing. The wind was slight or none at all so I was surprised to see so many waves crashing on the shore. Looking out I saw a few white caps out there but not many. Some waves crested and spilled over the rocks. Most of the time the waves dissipated on shore. At a couple spots where tall flat rocks were arranged to meet the wave head on the water splashed nine feet into the air in a tremendous, noisy, explosion. Some of the rocks that don't get wet very often were covered in a thick blanket of ice. I think I would like to come back after a strong wind has been blowing from the east for a day or two. Then I would see even more impressive waves.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...