Friday, January 26, 2024

Hiking A New TrailT

Today the temperature got up to 58 degrees so I drove four miles to the west to the trailhead parking lot. That green stuff in the water is watercress. I thought about collecting some to eat but I didn't want to get wet feet.

I found a cemetery miles away from any road. Most of the markers were from the 1800's. The latest person buried here died in 1962.

I saw 3 other people hiking today. One was a through hiker. This I knew because he had a bedroll on his backpack. I saw a bald eagle, Northern Cardinals, Carolina wrens, a golden crowned kinglet, a brown creeper and several red bellied woodpeckers.

This is a recent trail fix. The sawdust is still there.

This part of the Appalachian trail is easier to hike than the Superior Hiking Trail. 

I stepped over fewer roots, fewer rocks, and traversed fewer hills. Unfortunately the traffic on the Pennsylvania turnpike was evident all the time.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...