Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Deaf Utopia

I read a memoir about Nyle DiMarco called Deaf Utopia: A Memoir And A Love Letter To A Way Of Life.  I am not a fan of reality shows such as Dancing With The Stars and America's Next Top Model. If I was I would probably know who the author is. Nyle is a twin. He has an older brother too. He is the fourth generation in his family to be born deaf. He grew up learning American Sign Language which is an advantage many deaf people don't have.  Nyle's father is also deaf and didn't grow up in a home that used ASL. That set him back communication wise and emotionally. Nyle writes about being proud to be deaf. He doesn't consider himself to be hearing impaired nor disabled. I found it very interesting to learn about deaf culture.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...