Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Lettuce Lake Park

A couple weeks ago I met my cousin's friend who lives in a gated community outside of Tampa. She took us to Lettuce Lake Park where she had been on a bird tour with the Audubun society. We ate a quick lunch. She had a nervous puppy who couldn't be left alone so we went on the boardwalk tour first. We saw a turtle.

And a gator.

And a snake.

The puppy knew my cousin so was content to wait with her while I did the board walk tour again with the friend. She spotted a roseate spoonbill, a great blue heron nest, and a wood stork nest. Cool beans.

The lettuce is actually an invasive species in this lake. How odd to name a park after an invasive species. The friend also identified the name of  bird we were hearing that howls like a banshee; it's a limpkin.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...