Thursday, December 31, 2009

Decade in Review

10 years ago I was the single parent of an 11 year old and a 15 year old. My life revolved around the school district calendar. I was busy with school conferences, doctor appointments, hauling kids here and there, permission slips, lunch money, orchestra concerts, my Girl Scout cookies, and worried about infrastructure failure from the Y2K bug. I drove a maroon Plymouth voyager minivan that I hated. How times have changed.

Now I am a single parent of two young, independent, successful and healthy adult children. The eaglets have fledged. My life revolves around things I like to do like watching birds, reading, gardening, appreciating nature, swimming, knitting, making crafts, watching movies, and visiting with friends. I am busy with exercise classes, book club, community education classes, and home improvement projects. I drive an older Honda civic that gets close to 50 mg on the highway. I like my car. I’ve driven the Honda to the west coast once and the east coast twice.

In the past 10 years I’ve learned how to whittle, knit, identify some birds, make mosaics in tile and glass, make ricotta cheese, and raise chickens. I became a Master Naturalist. I’ve seen Tracy Chapman twice in concert. I’ve traveled to Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain and Glacier National Parks, Mount Rushmore, Waukegon in Illinois, Oregon, Salt Lake City, Fort Deven in Massachusetts, Kenya, New Orleans, Groton in Connecticut, San Diego, Estes Park in Colorado, London, Paris, and Newport in Rhode Island.

I feel so fortunate that I can hardly freaking believe it.

No comments:

The Beach At Summerly

Beatriz Williams is the author of the historical fiction novel called The Beach At Summerly . The story takes place on Winthrop Island. The ...