Saturday, January 2, 2010

I Thinked He Liked It




To make your own portable hummingbird feeder you will need a bicycle helmet, two of the smallest hummingbird feeders you can find, two 10 inch long 3/10 threaded rods, 8-3/10 washers, 8 - 3/10 nuts, and a drill with a 3/10 bit. Find a place on the helmet where the nuts won't rub on your head to hurt you. I placed mine under some removeable padding on the front. I wish I had placed them more along the side of the helmet so the weight would have been more equally distributed instead of pulling down on my forehead. It's a little heavy on the head without the sugar water. You won't need to put a lot of nectar in the bottles since you won't be wearing the feeder for very long. I think it is a neat way to get up close to birds. Hummingbirds, like chickadees, are not shy of people. Just think of how impressed your visitors will be if you allow them to wear the feeder.

No comments:

One Puzzling Afternoon

 Emily Critchley is the author of One Puzzling Afternoon , a mystery historical fiction novel set in a small town in the British Isles. Edie...