Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Trauma First Thing In The Morning

I'm normally not a dramatic person. I live an even-keel life. I rarely cry or scream or yell but this morning I did all three of those things. I'm not feeling good this week. I got a cold and have been pushing myself to go to work because I'd much rather take another Nyquil and go back to bed. I was getting ready for work this morning and I heard a noise in the kitchen. Was it the canary taking a bath again? No, it sounded too loud for that. Don't tell me I got another mouse in the glue trap. I peeked around the corner. EWWWWWW! It WAS another mouse in the glue trap. I was just in the kitchen 10 minutes ago. Was the mouse in the trap and I didn't notice? Somehow the mice this year got through the steel wool that kept them out other years. And they won't eat the D-Con I set out for them. They licked the peanut butter off the spring activated mouse trap and left it unsprung. A glue trap is my only solution because I don't want to get a cat. I normally don't mind mice but I don't want them living in the house. They're fine outside or even in the shed but not in the house. This mouse had it's lower half on the glue trap. The head and front legs were still trying to escape. I can barely stand to look at the poor thing stuck to the glue trap. I throw a paper towel shroud over it because that is the only way I can move the mouse out to the garage. I use the longest pair of tongs I have to pick up the trap. I don't have a good hold on it and I drop it, mouse side down. That was the first scream. The poor mouse is frozen by my scream and holds still while I pick it up again and carry it down the stairs. As my left hand opens the garage door my right hands opens a little and the mouse and trap fall to the floor again, trap side down. Second scream of anguish comes out. I pick it up again and the mouse flails it's little body making the trap and shroud bounce up and down in the tongs. Now I am crying and screaming as I take it out to the trash and close the lid on it. I feel so inhumane. If this was my parental unit, I would bash it's head in, scrape the body off the trap, and reuse the trap to save money. I just can't do that. Is dying of exposure the worst way to go? Could I force myself to put it in a plastic bag and hold one end to the tailpipe of a running car? Carbon monoxide poisoning isn't such an unpleasant death; at least it's quicker than exposure. I might have done that if I wasn't running late for work. I felt bad about this all day. What kind of vegetarian can't put a measly mouse out of it's misery?

2 comments:

Cajo said...

You're such a wimp! Remember when Kovu would just play with them, and you'd make me kill them when I was just a tween? At least you could have killed it! : )

Anonymous said...

Geez, hard on me much?

One Puzzling Afternoon

 Emily Critchley is the author of One Puzzling Afternoon , a mystery historical fiction novel set in a small town in the British Isles. Edie...