Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Given Your Occupation And All


I had to go in for one of those routine medical tests you need after the age of 50. It's really no big deal. You probably don't want to hear the details. The hardest part for me is fasting for a day. Drinking the prep is a minor inconvenience. The test itself isn't anything to complain about because they give you some really good medicine that can cause temporary amnesia. This is my second time taking the test so I knew what to expect. They let you watch the whole thing on a television screen and I find it fascinating to look inside my own body. I had the same doctor. I don't want to put his name out there. But his last name is a compound word. The first word is a game fish that has either a large mouth or a small mouth; in his case, probably a large mouth. The second part of the compound word is an adult male person. As I got on the table the nurse asked how I pronounce my name. The doctor interrupted me giving the answer by asking, "Is it sucky? Because it would be really sucky if it was sucky." In my mind I am formulating a question for him like, "Wouldn't it be a$$y if your name was a$$man, given your occupation and all?" Lucky for me, the next thought was to keep my mouth shut to a guy who has a long instrument in his hand headed straight for a tender spot. Ten seconds later I got my shot of versed and I forgot all about his comments until this morning. My test went well. All is good and I don't have to come back for 10 years.

No comments:

One Puzzling Afternoon

 Emily Critchley is the author of One Puzzling Afternoon , a mystery historical fiction novel set in a small town in the British Isles. Edie...