Sunday, January 31, 2010

Project Feeder Watch


Black capped chickadee - 6, White breasted nuthatch - 2, Junco - 3, Downy Woodpecker - 1, Blue Jay - 1, Robin - 1, Crow - 1
I thought I'd have more birds using my birdbath. It looks so welcoming with the warm water creating steam above the dish. So far I've seen only one chickadee getting a drink. I've had more squirrels than birds on the deck this weekend. The squirrels will not leave my suet alone. I (we) get up every time and try to scare them away. Anyone outside in our neighborhood would hear a random "Scram! Go Away! Roar! Bark!" We were up and down. The worst is when we would have a bird on the deck with a squirrel. The nuthatch would fly away and they were the ones we were trying to attract. I think the squirrels would watch us through the window, wait until we sat down and then come back. We grew frustrated with the squirrels coming back so often. We thought it would be more rewarding to throw something at them. But what? A boot? We wanted to throw something that we wouldn't have to retrieve. A tray of ice cubes was set by the door. The squirrels keep an eye on us through the window. They would lurk on the other side of the wood on the deck while we stood there with ice growing cold in our hands. I am seriously thinking of having the CO container on my paintball gun recharged. I want to sit in the kitchen with the deck door open and nail one of those squirrels with a paintball. The extra money spent on heating the kitchen with the door open would be worth the satisfaction. A supersoaker would work too but I don't have one.

No comments:

One Puzzling Afternoon

 Emily Critchley is the author of One Puzzling Afternoon , a mystery historical fiction novel set in a small town in the British Isles. Edie...