Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Yokosuka

Today we walked around Yokosuka. We stopped at the Navy base to get our passes. We had to show our passports, give our fingerprints, and have our pictures taken but now we can be on base as long as Offspring #1 or his wife are with us. After that we walked through the town. We stopped at a park so the grand girls could swing and slide and play on the equipment. We searched for a place for lunch. Eventually we ended up at a place that served Indian and Nepalese food. After that we went to Mikasa Park. This park is located next to the Navy base on the sea front. There are signs here warning you not to eat your food out in the open because the black tailed kites (raptors) will swoop down and steal your food out of your hand. I see a lot of black birds. Some are crows, some are carrion crows, and some are rooks. I can't tell them apart yet. We did see a cicada carcass that was quite large. I picked it up by it's three inch long wing. The body was about three inches long and almost two inches wide. Then I put it back down. This park had a Japanese ship we could tour. The ship was used in the war with the Russians in 1904. We didn't tour the ship but we did walk around the water feature.Sometimes they have fountain shows here. We walked near the friendship arch which I posed my Godzilla here. After that we walked to a store known to most of you as a dollar store but here is known as 1,000 yen store. I didn't buy anything but I enjoyed watching all the shoppers. I feel very tall in Japan. School children came in after school all wearing uniforms of blue and gray with book bags slung over their shoulders. After shopping we headed back to the base to get our car and head home. Now I have a better feeling about the layout of Yokosuka.

No comments:

The Beach At Summerly

Beatriz Williams is the author of the historical fiction novel called The Beach At Summerly . The story takes place on Winthrop Island. The ...