Wednesday, November 20, 2024

Deer Dike Park

The morning started out sunny and cool so I headed to the other side of the John Deere factory to Deer Dike Park. I walked along a dike road into the Mississippi. As I walked I saw clouds gathering to the north. I was warm enough with two sweaters, a rain coat to break the wind, and my high visibility vest. I just kept my hands inside my sleeves.

I didn't see any boats today. When I arrived there were two trucks with empty boat trailers. I never heard them come in but when I got back the two trucks were gone. Illinois is on the other side of the river.

I am glad I walked in the morning because by the time I finished my lunch in the car that flaky white stuff was falling from the sky. I groaned aloud.

I saw a great blue heron flying south. I saw a belted kingfisher, chickadees, blue jays, crows, a turkey vulture and dark eyed juncos. I thought I saw a small black bear but it turned out to be a guy wearing tan clothes which were the same color as the gravel road and his black dog. He probably wondered why I was taking his picture. As I approached my car some bird or animal was making a rhythmic smacking noise. When I stopped to listen the noise would stop. When I walked the smacking continued. I did this five times before I gave up. Then I went to a grocery store, bought the ingredients for a spinach pie, and went home and baked. This seemed like a good day to have the oven on.

 

No comments:

Time Of The Lotus Bloom

Now is the season for the blooming of American lotus. The flowers near shore stand higher above the water line than the flowers in deeper wa...