I have a new favorite historical fiction author and her name is Lynn Austin. I just this morning finished reading All Things New. Set in the south, just after the end of the Civil War, Josephine is adapting to the changes around her but the rest of her family is not. Her mother thinks it's terrible that she works in the garden or sews a dress. Josephine doesn't like being bored. Josephine makes friends with Lizzie the slave. Her mother, brother, and younger sister are appalled. Josephine is right but will the rest of the family come to that same conclusion?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lake Effect
Lake Effect is a family novel written by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney. The story starts out in Rochester, New York in 1977. Clara is in high...
-
I received a gift from Offspring #1 - a collection of lectures on compact disk about Medieval Heroines in History and Legend. The speaker is...
-
A yellow rail, one of THE MOST ELUSIVE birds around, sound like a manual typewriter. And if you're too young to know what a manual ty...
-
Today I was home quite a bit and saw a plethora of birds in my yard including two "first of the year" birds at opposite ends of...

No comments:
Post a Comment