Sunday, July 8, 2012

Kayaking on Saturday

On Saturday afternoon I spent a couple hours kayaking on the Rum River.  I put in at Brookview Park in Ramsey and kayaked upstream as far as the Seventh Avenue bridge.  We had more rain so paddling upstream was a little difficult.  I saw at least 20 cedar waxwings catching bugs above the river.  I saw about 8 belted kingfishers flying from branch to branch on the shore.  I also saw some robins, a pair of orioles, and several blue jays.  A big group barn swallows were nesting under the Seventh Street bridge.  Going upstream I passed two groups of people floating downstream on inner tubes and inflatable mattresses.  The second group consisted of about 10 loud and drinking women on inner tubes holding onto a canoe with two guys in it.  Coming back down, I passed the second group again but now they were on shore and agitated and yelling.  A couple of the women were walking in the river.  The current took me by fast but as I went by I could hear one say, "I couldn't grab the paddle."  I was already past them before I realized the canoe had tipped.  I grabbed the paddle, a tackle box and 3 individual packages of tackle and brought it back to them.  I wish people would be more careful on the water.  Too many people have drowned already this year.  My life preserver is hot and it makes me sweat and sometimes it gets uncomfortable but I'm not taking it off.  A little discomfort is worth the safety the life preserver provides.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...