Saturday, July 21, 2012

Lake Owasso

Last night I paddled almost completely around Lake Owasso.  Although I spent countless hours at this lake, I think this is the first time I've been in a boat.  As a child we would come to this beach to go swimming several times a week.  During the day, we biked here after lunch.  Mom would say we had to wait an hour to swim after biking otherwise we'd get a cramp and drown.  Even though she was a couple miles away, for some strange reason, I always waited an hour.  I sat in the hot sun for an hour after biking before swimming.  Those are hours spent that I'll never get back.  Last night I took off from the northern shore and paddled south towards County Road C.  There is some big money on this lake.  The lake homes were huge and beautiful and well kept.  A couple boats pulled tubes with kids riding and created waves for my boat.  A sail boat swept by in silence.  A loon with a baby were swimming nearby.  I gave them a wide berth.  As I drew across from them the parent loon tremolo about five times before diving.  The baby dived with the parent.  A minute later the loon tremolo again directly behind my kayak making me jump. Silly loon.  The lake is fairly shallow except for a trench on the west side.  I was surprised how large the lake is.  From the beach where we always swam you can't see how large it is because it bends and twists so much.  I saw at least 5 houses with for sale signs and one empty lot with a for sale sign.  I think it would be very nice to live on Lake Owasso.  Out of my price range but very nice.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...